MOVE TO PRESENT GROUND
On 25th November 1867 at a Meeting of the Committee held at the Plough and Harrow Hotel, Hagley Road, Edgbaston, the decision was taken to move to the present premises at the Botanical Gardens. The Society was invariably known as "The Gardens" up to fairly recent times.
In 1880 the "Laws of Lawn Tennis" appear in the Society's printed handbook, including those governing "The Three Hand and Four Handed Game". Croquet now appears to have been ousted by this new game. Lawn Tennis was going hand-in-hand with archery and meetings at which prizes were given for combined proficiency at these pursuits were being held.
One interesting notice states "Arrangements will be made by which Members who do not possess bows or tennis rackets will be provided with them for the occasion". Another notice of a lawn tennis prize meeting on 21st May 1888 reads "Matches for one lady and one gentlemen v. one lady and one gentlemen, handicap, will be arranged". This presumably, was the original and dignified form of styling a mixed doubles match.