1882 - COMPETITIVE MATCHES
By 1882 lawn tennis was of sufficient importance to have its own fixture card which shows that matches were held against Solihull, Leicester, Halesowen, West Bromwich, Kidderminster and Leamington, as well as four fixtures with the Edgbaston Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club. This latter club was already holding a six-day open tournament at Hall Hill Road, the date in the Society's 1882 fixture list being 23rd to 29th July. In 1884 the first Tennis Committee was formed and the following year the whole of Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays were given up to lawn tennis.
In 1886 there is reference to seven courts and it is in that year that the first challenge prize was donated for ladies. The exact date when archery dropped out all together is not recorded. The bows and arrows existed until 1925, when the pavilion in which they were stored was destroyed by fire.